Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ABC Wednesday: I is for Caught In-Action

Unlike movie/motion picture, photography is stationary. If we can convey an action in a photograph then it becomes much more interesting. I was fortunate to be at the right place and right time when this Little Egret took flight. I caught the bird In-action with a sequence of shots then just simply stitched them together in the Photoshop.

This Blue Tiger Butterfly is very common in Taiwan. Usually, we can hardly even follow the butterfly with a camera, let alone to catch it In-action in the mid-air. For this occasion, I just caugt this one flapping its wings almost at a stationary position in the mid air. I pushed the ISO of my D700 to 6400 which allowed me to use the speed at 1/640 and took a sequence of shots. The speed froze and gave a clear picture of the body but with some motion blur of the wings. I then pasted three sequential shots together in the Photoshop.

This Common Rose Butterfly (紅紋鳳蝶), pachliopta aristolochiae interposita with its beautiful wings and amazing red body, just kept on flapping its wings on top of a flower. Actually, we do not want it to be stationary. When they are stationary, they either completely expand their wings or close them which make less interesting photographs. I set the ISO of the D700 at 2500 and took the picture at speed of 1/250. There is a motion blur of the wings which I like it better than the picture taken at 1/1000 which stopped the movement of the wings completely.

Well, this Rice Paper Butterfly (大白班蝶), Idea leuconoe clara was frozen In-action in the mid-air. I took the picture at ISO2500; f/8.0; 1/1000. I did not realize that I succeeded in taking the picture till I came home and uploaded the pictures on the computer.

The picture of the Little Egret taken-off was photographed in Taipei Botanical Park three weeks ago. The butterfly pictures were taken at the Insect Museum of National Chiayi University when we went to Chiayi for the Taiwan Lantern Festival on February 28.

To see more entries of ABC Wednesday click here.
To see more entries of Camera Critters click here.

21 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, what beautiful butterflies! And your photos are fantastic! What terrific shots for the day! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Jama said...

Wonderful photography! I just love the butterfly shots.

Lynvingen said...

Wow, really great in-sction shots! I really liked the three photos stiched together.

Jay said...

Those photos are incredible! I keep forgetting that I can push the ISO ... thanks for the reminder. It can be the only way to capture insects, can't it?

I LOVE the rice paper butterfly picture. You're absolutely right, of course, it's so much more interesting to capture them in flight that stationary on a flower. The egret is pretty cool, too!

On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week! :)

Gerald (SK14) said...

lovely takes of the butterfly

Rune Eide said...

That is difficult, but you have managed it very well - delightful exposures and photos!

Unknown said...

The butterflies photos is so beautiful :)
Thanks.

Reader Wil said...

Bravo! These photos are magnificent, excellent and very exquisite! You are a very great photographer! Thanks for showing them!!

Carol said...

Amazing shots...my favorite is the rose butterfly sipping into the flower...

wenn said...

great shot of the butterflies!

Joy said...

Wow they are wonderful shot. I especially liked the Little Egret in all its reflected beauty.

photowannabe said...

Incredibly beautiful. I love how you stitched the pictures together. Creative and well done.

SandyCarlson said...

These photos are amazing. I am in awe of your work.

Roger Owen Green said...

INCREDIBLE! That 2nd photo, the middle butterfly alone....did I say incredible yet?

dianasfaria.com said...

Wow! what an amazing post! I love the blue butterflies, though every picture is really neat.
nice job.

x_pEpPeRoNi_x said...

Wow, they're all beautiful, and the stitching is perfect as well.

The detail and the pattern of the wings are lovely too!

Ruth said...

Whoa!!! This is a two thumb-up. I love butterflies in the action captured here. I'm speechless.Don't know what else to say. Wow!

Tania said...

Oh, so beautiful! Love all of them:-)
Wish you a great day!

Tumblewords: said...

Wow! Impressive photo work!

fiziskandarz said...

very creative! haven't crossed my mind to stitch images that way to create some sense of movement :) i like! :D

Shu said...

Amazing photos!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails