Thursday, October 11, 2012

PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED: How to Tilt


Got this chart from the following link, it makes the "tilt" function of the 24 mm PC-E lens much easier to use.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml

cm
˚
130
1
90
1.5
69
2
55
2.5
46
3
39
3.5
34.5
4
27.5
5
23
6
19.7
7
17.2
8

For a simple example, if the camera is at my breast level, it is about 130cm from the ground, I should turn the lens downward 1˚,  everything in the viewfinder will be in focus.  It does not matter what aperture I use or where I focus.

If I lower the camera to my hip, which is about 90cm from the ground.  I should turn the lens downward 1.5˚.

If I lower the camera further to my thigh (70cm), I should turn the lens downward 2˚.

Use the same principle if I want to do the "swing" (tilt sideway).

If I further apply the hyperfocal principle, I will use the lens at f/8 and focus at 5m in front of the camera (focusing idex on the lens pointing at "1" of the 10 feet mark), which means without "tilt" everything from 2.5m to infinity will be in focus.  With "tilt" then everything will really be in sharp focus.

However, there is always exception.  The Plan of Focus (POF) is from my feet moving upward to infinity at the distance point where the camera is pointing at.  The Depth of Field (DOF) is at zero at my feet then gradually expand around the POF as it moves further away.  There is a possibility when a subject is very close to me at, say, waist level.  It may still be outside of the DOF and will require to tilt the lens further.

Just remember to keep the camera level at all time!

Here is an image of this principle in practice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glance of the city, from a great height, amazing pics depicting the whole town in a snap shot.
Calvin Klein low rise hipster

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails